Just because you are not a slim fit doesn’t mean that you won’t be a breathtaking bride. We asked bridal gown importer Liel Aniesko who brings to Israel the European line Papilio and Gala Rachmilevitch, a blogger and styling consultant, to share their tips for the plus sized bride. Finding the perfect bridal gown is always challenging, but it certainly doesn’t have to be a more challenging feat for bigger brides. We hope this post will help you find the dress of your dreams no matter what your waist size is!
Photo: Vogue Italy
“Your wedding gown should be inspired by your dreams” tells us Liel. ” But on the same breath, it needs to fit in with the reality. It can be very frustrating to shop for plus-size wedding gowns with all those beautiful skinny brides around. But the truth is, every single bride I’ve met, no matter how slim and beautiful she was, had an issue with at least one of her body features. On a pursuit of a bridal gown, the most important thing is to accept your body and understand what styles will suit it best.”
Photo: Pretty Pear Bride
Silhouettes that work for more curvaceous brides:
- A-line silhouette is universally flattering. A-line gown can be made of any fabric you like. If you like a stiff and formal style – go for atlas or satin. A-line and chiffon are a great duet too, chiffon softly flowing to the floor will give you a more refined look.
High-Waist Empire silhouette is extremely romantic, comfortable and relaxed. It looks great on curvaceous brides. Just make sure not to use too much fabric, as it might make you look heavier. Another important thing to keep in mind with the empire shape is to carefully choose the width of the belt so it does not put too much emphasis on your tummy. Chiffon and silk are fabulous for the empire silhouette gown.
- Classic straight silhouette is normally one of the most flattering silhouettes for juicy girls. A straight dress, flowing softly from the top to the bottom, will make you visually taller and slimmer.
Making your body features work for you:
- Got big bust? Use straps and the top part of the dress which will wrap the areas of your chest and arm pits from both sides. V-cut will be fantastic as well.
- Girls with wide hips should aim for Strapless, A-cut and Empire styles. They will do wonders for your hips by balancing them out.
- Short and wide neck looks really good in the collar
Bridal Gown Elements:
- Diagonal patterns, lines and folds are fabulous for plus-size brides.
- Decorations on the sides of the wedding gown descending from top to bottom will give you a longer and slimmer look.
- Sleeves are great for you too, especially from the light, see-through fabric like chiffon or lace.
- Your bridal gown should be neither too tight nor too lose. It needs to compliment you, to wrap your body softly and highlight your best features. It’s important to balance – if you chose long sleeves, air it up with the midi-length skirt
Unfortunately, plus-size fashion is sometimes viewed as about hiding certain features, but that does not meant that you should agree with it! Do not burry your body under long sleeves and super-long gowns. Emphasize the features you love the most. If you love your cleavage, expose it. If you love your legs – wear a midi-gown and show them!
I hope that this article will help you realize that there are plenty of options for your bridal look that will flatter and compliment your body. The most important is to remember, that no matter what size you are – you will look stunning on your wedding day. Relax and enjoy it to the maximum!